Mobile betting has revolutionized the gambling industry, and the convenience obtained is unmatched. Placing wagers on the go and accessing other functionality and features have been a great relief to punters. However, funding your betting account is another crucial factor which often is a struggle to many. Since most sportsbooks have a limited variety of payment options, some bookies have opted to offer the USSD code option.
What is the USSD Code? Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) is a Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) protocol that is used to send text messages similar to SMS. In this case, you can use a USSSD Code from your bank to fund your betting account through your mobile phone. The most common bank used is GTBank. Thus, in most cases, bookies will have the option of GTBank USSD or Mobile cash USSD. While using a mobile cash USSD option, the phone number being used must be the same used in the bank and on the betting site.
In this article, we will highlight top Nigeria USSD code betting sites and a step-by-step guide on how to fund your account.
- How to Deposit Using USSD: What are the USSD strings? How to activate the code?
- Pros and Cons of Using USSD: Why should you deposit using USSD codes and the drawbacks.
- Difference Between USSD Code and SMS: Explore the similarities and differences between USSD codes and SMS.
- Alternatives to USSD: Top choices include PayPal, Opay, Skrill, Quickteller
- FAQs: Answers to some of the questions about USSD code betting sites
Best Betting Sites with USSD Code
How to Fund Your Betting Account Using USSD Code
Top betting sites with USSD code require you to have a GTBank account. With this, you only need to use the GTBank transfer code for Nigeria, which is *737#. The best thing about this service is that you don’t need to have an internet connection for it to work.
Better yet, the money transfer works on any phone, both smart and non-smart phones. These services are not only available 24/7, but they are reliable, secure, and efficient.
How to Activate GTBank Transfer Code
The process of activating your GTBank transfer code is similar to registering for GTbank mobile banking. Here are the steps;
- Using the phone number used to register with the bank, dial *737*11#
- Key in your bank verification number (BVN)
- Enter account officer code (if known) or press 1 to continue
- Initiate a transaction to complete the account activation process
How to Deposit Into 1XBet.ng Using USSD Code
To fund your 1XBet account, dial the code *737*51*AMOUNT*000#
- Step 1: Enter your PIN and click ‘Okay.’
- Step 2: Confirm the details provided and press send
- Step 3: Your funds will reflect in your account immediately
Another option is using the GTBank internet USSD. On the home page of your betting account, ‘Pay with USSD’ is among the deposit methods available on the site.
- Step 1:Click on this option and select ‘GTBank.’
- Step 2: A pop-up will appear with the bank USSD Code
- Step 3: Copy and dial the USSD code with the bank registered phone number
- Step 4: Another pop-up will appear where you are required to enter your pin
How to Deposit Into Interwetten.ng Using USSD Code
At the time of writing this article, Interwetten does not offer a USSD code to fund your account directly from your phone without the need for an internet connection. Although the USSD is among the listed deposit option, you will need to be connected to the internet to use this option.
- Step 1: Click on the USSD option
- Step 2: A pop-up will appear requiring you to choose an amount between 300-2500
- Step 3: You will be re-directed to another web-page where you will select your bank. The available banks include Guaranty Trust Bank, United Bank for Africa, and Sterling Bank.
- Step 4: After confirming your bank, you will be provided with a code which you will then dial to complete the transaction.
How to Deposit Into Betway.ng Using USSD Code
- Step 1: Dial the USSD string and enter the amount you wish to deposit: *737*50*Amount*285
- Step 2: Enter the phone number you use to register for the bank account, which should be similar to that used in the betting site.
- Step 3: Enter your pin to process the funds
- Step 4:Press okay and your funds will be processed immediately. You will receive a notification via SMS/email
Deposit using mCash USSD Code
- Step 1: Dial *402*00238929* Amount#
- Step 2: Choose the bank you want to use for payment
- Step 3: Enter the account number
- Step 4: Enter your pin
- Step 5: Confirm and click okay. You will immediately receive a confirmation message
Advantages and Disadvantages of using USSD Code
Despite the convenience that USSD codes offer, it is essential to highlight the pros and cons of using this option to fund your betting account.
- Fast and Convenient Payment Option
- Payment made via USSD will reflect in your account almost immediately. This is very convenient since you can start placing wagers while on the go or from the comfort of your home.
- No Internet Connection Required
- As long as you have the code, you don’t need an internet connection to process the payments. Just dial the code and enter the required information.
- Can be Used with Non-Smartphone Device
- You don’t need a smart mobile device to deposit funds into your betting account. The code can be run even on a non-smartphone.
- Reasonably Small transactional Charges
- With USSD codes, the charges are substantially small compared to other transactional expenses incurred when using other payment options such as credit cards.
- You Cannot Withdrawal Funds
- Unlike some payments options that allow you to deposit and withdraw through the same platform, with USSD, you can only fund your account.
- Not Available in Some Bookies
- Only the sportsbooks listed above offer this option. If you are looking to use this method, be sure to check if your bookie is among the listed.
Difference Between USSD Code and SMS
USSD is a global system used to send text messages and is similar to short message services (SMS). USSD codes are characters used to establish real-time communications between a phone and another server. Unlike SMS messages, a USSD message creates a real-time connection which enables two-way communication as long as the communication line stays open.
Apart from funding betting accounts, USSD codes are also used in;
- Mobile banking
- Buying airtime or requesting account balances
- Callback services
- Order confirmation
- Activating coupons and vouchers
Both USSD and SMS allow mobile users to send and receive a text to and from the home network. The major differences between these two include;
- USSD is session-based while in SMS, there is no session included
- No long text in USSD as those used in SMS
- USSD allows two-way communication while in SMS, the mobile user may not send a reply immediately.
Alternatives to USSD Code
There are other convenient and reliable payment options that you can use when USSD codes are not available; these include:
Opay is a mobile-based platform that offers swift payments and is also a great alternative to conventional payment options. The Opay App gives you a list of betting sites which you can fund as long as you have an account with the bookies. The available sportsbooks that offer this option include Bet9ja, 1xBet, Betway, and Nairabet.
The best thing about this payment option is the zero charges for deposit. The transactions are swift, and funds will reflect into your account balance within seconds. Similar to using the USSD Code, with Opay you get to fund your account while on the go on your mobile phone.
Paypal is an e-wallet service that provides fast and secure online transactions. Although sportsbooks offer this payment option, PayPal comes with stringent restrictions in Nigeria.
One can open a Paypal account and send money but cannot receive payments through the platform. However, there are several betting sites in Nigeria that accept PayPal transactions.
The reasons why most players prefer using this option is its security and reliability. PayPal uses the latest encryption technology to ensure that all personal and financial information remains anonymous. More so, PayPal is also available to use for mobile transactions.
Skrill is among the best payment options for online betting since it’s safe and swift. Just like PayPal, Skrill is a convenient payment method, and any funds deposited will reflect in your betting account instantly. Unlike Paypal, which comes with various restrictions, Nigerian players can easily open a Skrill account and use it to fund their betting accounts.
Some of the bookies that offer this payment option include Bet365, 1XBet, 22Bet, and NetBet. Apart from funding your betting account, some bookies allow you to withdrawal using this option.
Quickteller is a financial platform that enables you to send and receive money online the same way as PayPal. You can send money instantly, and the service is available both on desktop and mobile. You can also fund your betting account via Quicktelker using your ATM. The platform accepts Naira Mastercard, Verve cards, and VISA; thus, you can transfer money from your bank easily.
This payment option is also available in most Nigerian betting sites, and you will only incur a small transaction charge when you fund your betting account using Quickteller. You can use this option to deposit money to both Nigerian and some international betting sites. The fund will reflect in your account instantly.
Interswitch is an African-based payment method that is used in several African countries, including Nigeria. With Interswitch, you can fund your account through various options such as electronic fund transfer using major credit cards such as Mastercard and Visa, Quickteller online, and Verve card.
Some of the sportsbooks that offer this payment option include Bet9ja, Nairabet, and Wazobet, among others. When using Interswitch, your funds will reflect in your betting account instantly. The major downside of this option is the 1.5% commission charged for every payment.
Paystack is another great alternative to using USSD Code. It is one of the preferred payment options for use in online sportsbooks thanks to the fast, free, and secure connection. With Paystack, you can make payments through mobile money, card, mcash, bank account, and Visa QR. Any payments made to your betting account will be credited instantly. Some of the bookies that accept this payment option include; Betking, Nairabet, and AccessBet.
Frequently Asked Questions About USSD Code Betting Sites
Mobile betting Apps and Sportsbooks with mobile-compatible sites have offered the much-needed convenience to punters in Nigeria. With this revolution, there was a need to enhance the payment process, which has been provided by the use of USSD Codes. With USSD Code betting sites, you can fund your account from the comfort of your home regardless of whether you are using a smartphone or non-smartphone. Better yet, you don’t need any internet connection to complete your transactions. As long as you have the USSD code for your betting site, you just need to dial the number and key in the necessary details. USSD Codes deposits will reflect in your betting account almost immediately. We have highlighted our top betting sites with USSD Code above, be sure to check them out. Good luck!
What's in this article
- Best Betting Sites with USSD Code
- How to Fund Your Betting Account Using USSD Code
- How to Activate GTBank Transfer Code
- How to Deposit Into 1XBet.ng Using USSD Code
- How to Deposit Into Interwetten.ng Using USSD Code
- How to Deposit Into Betway.ng Using USSD Code
- Advantages and Disadvantages of using USSD Code
- Difference Between USSD Code and SMS
- Alternatives to USSD Code
- Frequently Asked Questions About USSD Code Betting Sites
- Final Word